Totentanz


This is a mural of sorts that you'll find in Berlin's oldest church, Marienkirche. It is actually a replica of a fresco that was found in the entrance to the church during renovations. The church is trying to raise money to restore the fresco by selling small tiles to complete this mosaic version. It looks like they're doing quite well so far as the panel to the left (not pictured) and the middle panel are fully completed. I hope they get the funds they need, although I admit I didn't purchase a tile. 

The past few days have been quite busy for me. Real work has finally begun on our apartment and hopefully things will move quickly from here. The weather has also been incredibly summer-like and we have a guest in town this week. So I apologize in advance if my blogging and commenting is a bit spotty. In the meantime, you'll find more murals at Monday Mural.

14 comments:

  1. A good method for raising the funds they need!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate the intention, but I really hope the fresco is a little better than this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, you can't really get a good picture of the fresco. It's dark in the entrance of the church and the fresco area is blocked off, so you can only see it from a distance. :(

      Delete
  3. It appears the fundraising's going quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any idea how old the fresco is? Smart and beautiful way to raise funds. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take a look at it again when I'm back in that neighborhood. This is Berlin's oldest church (first mentioned in the city chronicles in 1292) so I am guessing it must be old.

      Delete
  5. What a great idea for fundraising. Good luck on the apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the work goes well, and quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible, it will be great to see the original

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dance of the Dead is apparently a very popular motif :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Preserving something historic is a terrific community endeavor!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...