Mural in the Dom


There is also a small museum inside the Berliner Dom that gives a bit of history of the building itself. Models and pieces of the original building (presumably removed after damage during the war) make up most of the collection, but there was also this wonderful mural. I am often too impatient to read the German signs, but from what I can gather this is a reproduction of a fresco by Peter von Cornelius. Apparently, King Frederich William IV commissioned Cornelius to paint a series of frescoes for the royal cemetery (similar to the cemetery in Campo Santo in Pisa), but it doesn't seem that any of his planned works were ever carried out. In any case, I found this piece interesting, the colors are very rich, although I wonder who is being buried. 

Hope you had a wonderful weekend. I get a little break from German this week, so hopefully I will have more time to take pictures. Don't forget to stop by Monday Mural to see more murals from around the world!

15 comments:


  1. Hello, Halcyon.

      Attractive works.
      You are the excellent artist.

      I thank for your usual and hearty support.
      Have a good week.  
      From Japan, ruma ❃

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shots of the Berliner Dom Halcyon both inside and out. Sorry to hear that you weren't 100%, hope that you're feeling much better and had luck with your apartment searching, is it difficult to find apartments in Berlin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually take pics of the signs so that I can read them again when I'm sitting comfortably in front of the computer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfully rich colour and detail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of detail in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating, I am enjoying Berlin through your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for leaving the link about Cornelius as it it was quite informative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you read the description to help enlighten us, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I missed this, thanks for the story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colors are impressive with a kind of royal touch to them...I'm sure the person being buried was one of the elite, whatever his/her name!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Impressive piece. The massive bank of candles with it's glittering light is especially engaging. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...